[HPADM] Summary: File creation

From: Latone, Philip (PLatone@miracosta.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 16:23:26 EDT

umask in the above example is 022. To create a file automatically
with rw-rw-r-- permissions, change umask 002.

HOWEVER: according to the man page files are always created
without any execute permission. UNLESS the file is a shell script,
PERL script, awk script, etc, x permission makes no sense. The
only files that are created with execute permissions are directories
(which are special files. In other words, all direrctories have umask
applied to 777, while ordinary files start at 666 and then umask is
subtracted.

If you truly want 774 permission, you'll have to use chmod.

Bill--

Best regards,
Bill Hassell (blhconsulting@mindspring.com)