[HPADM] Summary: When does time turn to year on file listing?

From: Joan Millington (j.millington@chester.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 12:03:53 EDT

Thanks to everyone who responded to this. Most pointed out that the
answer is 6 months, and is given in:

man ls

Other very useful info from CBee:

...It also states that if timestamps are in the future (even 1 second ahead)
it is also in 'year' notation. I've seen this with nfs-mounts between
machines that had no time-sync with ntp or such.

By the way, it is display only. the timestamp on the filesystem is in epoc
(seconds since 00:00 1-1-1970) at least on most filesystems...

And from Andy Cranston:

...What I do have is a little program called lsdate which lists the
modification time of files in a consistent format such as:

  2001/02/04 18:15:18 bin
  2002/01/13 03:46:26 boot
  2002/04/23 19:27:46 dev
  2002/01/13 07:27:08 etc
  2001/12/30 20:09:41 home

Note that you also get the modification time down to the second - not just
the nearest minute.

I called this program "lsdate" and you can find it here:

  http://www.systemzone.freeserve.co.uk/jungle/lsdate.htm

Just compile the source as follows:

  cc -o lsdate lsdate.c

Thanks again,