[HPADM] couldn't query physical volume

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 09:56:18 EDT

Good Day All,
We have several HP9000 (rp7400, N4000, K370) systems running HP-UX 11.0
connect to an EMC Sym5 via an EMC Connectrix Fibre switch. Last week EMC
came in to remove two 2-port fibre cards and replace them with two 4-port
fibre cards in order to set up for an SRDF connection to a remote site. We
were informed that we would lose one of our fibre paths permanently and the
wwn would change on another path. We have 3 fibre card connections on each
HP. I was able to fix the path that the wwn changed but on a couple of
systems I am getting the following errors when I do a vgdisplay -v:

vgdisplay: Warning: couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c32t0d7":
The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to
this volume group
vgdisplay: Warning: couldn't query all of the physical volumes.

It only affects a couple of volume groups. The devices I am getting the
errors on appear in the /etc/lvmtab. I tried to do a vgreduce but It
basically gives me the same error. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I though about doing a vgscan but I have heard that this is not a safe thing
to do and to only use as a last resort. I am trying to avoid doing a
vgexport/vgimport.

Thanks,
Jim Naylor
Unix Systems Administrator