[HPADM] RE: How can I get the correct font path for a VNC session

From: Beerse, Corné (c.beerse@torex-hiscom.nl)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 12:00:44 EDT

The easy way to set the fontpath is to use a working one... If the Xserver
at the console has a proper fontpath, then best use that:

Get the fontpath from the console: `xset -display :0 -q >> console.xset` Now
the file "console.xset" contains (a.o.) the fontpath.

The Xvnc must be able to use each and every directory. So the user that runs
Xvnc must have access (execute) rights on every directory and have read
rights on every file in those directories. Do a `chmod -R a+rX ...` for
every directory.

If the fontpath contains elements that do not start with a '/' then that's
a fontserver. Rights are no problem here, but a firewall can be.

Then, use `xset` inside your vnc-session to twiggle the fontpath. Use "fp"
options, see `man xset` for details. This xset changes the fontpath LIVE
hence be sure not to remove all, it can ruin your day...

Once you have an acceptabel fontpath, you can give it to Xvnc (or vncserver)
with the -fp option.

> I'm running /usr/dt/bin/Xsession, after VNC is started, and
> I've even tried
> sourceing /usr/dt/config/Xsetup, but I'm still not getting the same
> font path as when I run the app locally from a CDE session.

That does not help you, it twiggles the window manager or such, not the
Xserver which handles the fontpaht.

CBee