[HPADM] [SUMMARY] RE: Maximum number of links/files/directories per directory

From: chi-leung.wong@nokia.com
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 00:10:20 EDT

Hi all,

        Well it seems that as many have said there's no limit for files
or symbolic links per a directory but the problem it seems is in the
vxfs filesystems itself where there's a limitation of 32767 links per
inode which per a parent directory only 32765 subdirectories are
allowed. (Thanks Wodisch for the info). So I guess that's my problem as
I'm trying to uncompressed a backup of an informix database. It's a
non-tunable parameter so there's no solution at least not in HPUX.
        Went for LINUX to solve this issue and changed ext3 filesystem
code, recompiled the kernel and it's now working with max 65535 as the
stable limitation.

I want to thank all those who has provided answers to this problem:
Kevin Epstein, Wolf-Dietrich Schmook, Bill Hassell, Muscat Tyrone J.,
and Jeff Cleverley

Some additional information which might be of interest:

[Bill Hassel] NOTE: HP's tar is quite braindead in that it does not
understand any
  blocksize except 10k. Use pax to restore your 32k files--but of
course,
  get you system patched to 2003 levels--unless you are using the
obsolete
  and unsupported 10.20 version (or earlier). There is a pax command
patch
  but I would also add the last set of patches from the SupportPlus set
  dated Dec 2001.

Cheers,
-Alan