[HPADM] RE: Record keystrokes.

From: Abramson, Stuart (SAbramson@Wabtec.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 12:01:13 EDT

Robert:

A. Here is how the normal login process works:

(This depends to some extent on whether you run CDE or not.)

all logins run /etc/profile (I'm not sure whether CDE runs /etc/profile
first or last.)
CDE runs .dtprofile first.
If last line of .dtprofile is set properly, CDE runs .profile, which may
call .kshrc.

B. If you want to trap user commands, or monitor them, put somewhere in
this sequence (probably in /etc/profile):

export HISTFILE=/tmp/.sh_history.$LOGNAME.$$

Then, you'll be able to see all user commands.

You could also "tee" the commands to some log file.

You must write a cronjob in root:crontab to clean old history files out of
/tmp.

    Stuart

Stuart Abramson | Off: 412/825-1434 | Cell: 412/417-1567 | email:
sabramson@wabtec.com