[HPADM] Summary How to move a boot volume without reboot.

From: Julian Rogan (Julian.Rogan@Unilever.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 08:26:37 EDT

Thanks to all who replied (Too many to mention).
As I thought I was over complicating the process. I tried out the
following on a crash and burn server.

1. pvcreate -Bf new_disk.
2. mkboot -l new_disk.
3. mkboot -a "hpux -lq (;0)/stand/vmunix" new_disk
4. lifcp new_disk:AUTO - ( To display/check the above boot string).
5. vgextend vg00 new_disk.
6. for LV in `vgdisplay -v vg00 | grep "LV Name" | awk '{print $3}'`
   do
   lvextend -m 1 $LV new_disk
   done ( to mirror all logical volumes )

7. lvlnboot -v This will show boot/root/dump/swap now also on the new disk
8. Shutdown and reboot using the new disk.

9. At this point you may want to interrupt the boot process to switch off
MWC and MCR from the primary swap
   volume. You would only need to do this if you are also using primary
swap as the DUMP area.

   ISL> hpux -lm -lq

   At the prompt do:

   vgchange -a y vg00
   lvchange -M n -c n /dev/vg00/vol2
   vgchange -a n vg00

   shutdown and reboot again from the new disk

10. for LV in `vgdisplay -v vg00| grep "LV Name"| awk '{print $3}'`
    do
    lvreduce -m 0 $LV OLD_disk
    done ( to remove mirroring from the OLD disk)

11. vgreduce vg00 OLD_disk
12. lvlnboot -v This will now ONLY have reference to the new boot disk.
13. setboot -p (hardware path to new_disk).
14. You will notice that the root (/) filesystem is mounted via /dev/root
instead of /dev/vg00/lvol3.
    This is as a result of booting into maintenance mode in step 9. To fix
it do:
    rm /etc/mnttab
    mount -a

The above does not include the addition of a second disk to provide
mirroring. To do that do steps:
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 also step 13 setboot -a (hardware path to new mirror disk).

I have included a nice document which also supplies the above that I
received from Bob Vance.

Julian