[HPADM] How to move a boot volume without reboot.

From: Julian Rogan (Julian.Rogan@Unilever.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 06:07:12 EDT

Hi,
I have a boot volume (HPUX V11.0) on an EMC disk, I want to move this to
local storage.
I understand how to create an alternate boot disk however I would like
some advice on another method.

Will the following work?

1. pvcreate -B new disk, mkboot etc. on new disk and vgextend it into vg00.
2. mirror all logical volumes from the EMC boot disk to the new disk.
4. lvreduce all mirrors from the EMC disk.
5. lvrmboot -r vg00 to remove all BDRA data.
6. vgreduce vg00 EMC-disk # This is the bit I am not sure will work.
7. lvlnboot -R
8. lvlnboot [-b lvolx, -r lvoly, -s lvolw, -d dump lvols] to restore BDRA
9. mkboot -a (new boot string).
10. setboot ?

I realize that if the above works I will not have a bootable system
between steps 4 and 9.

I keep thinking it can't be this easy.

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome

regards,

Julian