[HPADM] RE: SUMMARY: Itanium/PArisc tape format compatibility - additional

From: Bob Vance (bobvance@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 14:20:41 EDT

I had also called HP pre-sales support about this and they said that they
did not know but would forward it on to "engineering". In the meantime,
"engineering" replied back that it would not work!!

Here is what I got back:

----
I just got this back from engineering...
We have run a quick test of this scenario and found that data backed up
on PA-Risk systems will NOT restore to IPF systems. In our test we
backed up some image data from a PA-Risc system then moved the tape
drive and media to an IPF system and recovered the images.  These images
are not viewable on the IPF system.  I would assume that if there is a
difference in endian with PA-Risc and IPF that the bytes are not being
recovered in the same order as the PA-Risk system would have required.
It looks as though without a special tool to do the byte swapping, media
created with PA-Risc systems is not compatible with IPF systems.
Although the media is recognized by both architectures the data created
by the backup tool would need to be smart enough to know which system
the recovery is targeted for.
I can not answer whether 'swpackage' is capable of knowing when to use
big-endian or small-endian when creating and restoring data from tape.
Without this functionality, this capability what is being asked below is
not possible.
----
Tks                  <mailto:BVance@sbm.com>
BV                   <mailto:BobVance@alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant       Vox 770-623-3430
Arrow Electronics, Inc.        Fax 801-327-6152
Enterprise Computing Solutions
SBM Division
11455 Lakefield Dr.
Duluth, GA 30097-1511