[HPADM] Re: What is the /var/spool/sockets/pwgr directory?

From: Bill Hassell (blhconsulting@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 13:14:52 EDT

Hi Dale, Jeff,

pwgr is the password hash daemon that is used to speed up searches through
the password file for tools like ls -l. In a password file with 10,000 users
(common in a college) these commands can get really slow since ls -l
actually
reads every line in the passwd file until a match is found for the user ID
number, then the user name is pulled and displayed as the owner.

The daemon cleans up a few of these sockets each time it runs but on a
system
with just a few dozen users, you can turn off the daemon AND remove the pwgr
directory /var/spool/sockets/pwgr (must do both). Stop the damon with:

   /sbin/init.d/pwgr stop

Then, edit the config file in /etc/rc.config.d and turn off the option to
start
the daemon. No more socket files...

--
Best regards,