[HPADM] dtterm vs. xterm through ssh connections

From: Doug Wyatt (dwyatt@kohlmansystems.com)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 18:38:30 EDT

Hi,

This is not a big deal, more of a curiosity that I've observed
for some time. I spent a little time trying to work it out,
but not much.

I often connect to HP-UX 10.20 and 11.0 boxes via openssh and
then open one or more X windows using port tunneling.

This works acceptably with an app like dtterm (font warnings
not withstanding), but with xterm and one or two other apps
I've tried I get messages like this:

   X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or
       server shutdown).

This occurs in the same session in which dterm successfully
opens. Dtterm appears to use ~/.Xauthority, but xterm appears
not to.

Can anyone provide any insight?

Regards,
Doug Wyatt