[HPADM] SUMMARY: ANY way to do automounter failover on HP-UX ...

From: Alek O. Komarnitsky (N-CSC) (alek@ast.lmco.com)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 10:39:07 EDT

> From alek Wed Jun 18 12:28:15 2003
>
> > From alek Fri Jun 13 21:31 MDT 2003
> >
> > Most modern automounters (ex: Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX) have
> > the ability to do replicated automount entries - i.e. you
> > can specify more than one location, and it will mount
> > whoever is closest/fastest/etc.
> >
> > On Solaris, this is taken one step further, and if the
> > mount is a replicated READ-ONLY mount, it can auto-failover
> > to another server if the first server goes down WHILE the
> > mount point is being used. I.e. it does not have to be unmounted.
> >
> > This is really, really nice ... but it does not appear that
> > HP-UX has this capability, based on the man page and also some
> > actual testing on 11i.
> >
> > I just wanted to check with the hpux-admins to make sure I'm
> > not missing something here and/or some esoteric patch that
> > provides this capability - I did not see one available.
> >
> > Sure would be nice if this worked similar to Solaris.
> >
> > Thanx for any responses and I'll summerize back to the list,
> > alek
> > http://www.komar.org/
> >
> > P.S. Using AMD or other non-vendor automounter is NOT an option for us.
>

> I didn't get any responses back on this, so I thought I would
> try one more time ... and maybe someone from HP could comment
> if feature could be added for a future release of the automounter?
>
> Thanx,
> alek

The most helpful response by far was the attached from Greg Cagle.
So while not doable now (confirms what I thought), it is on HP's
radar screen and we should hopefully see sometime in the future.

Greg said it was OK to publisize this info, so thanx for tracking
it down Greg and thanx Dave/HP'ers for the info and getting this
into the next release! ;-)
alek

Here's what I got from the lab guy.
> This feature is called "client failover" and it is not part of HP's NFS
> offering at this time. As Alek wrote, our AutoFS offers the ability to
> select between servers at MOUNT time, but once the filesystem is mounted it
> must be unmounted before AutoFS will select a different server to mount
> from. Client failover allows the client to switch between a specified list
> of servers (configured for read-only access) while the filesystem is
> mounted.

According to Dave (my contact) if it isn't in the initial 11.31
release it'll be in one of the DARTs shortly thereafter. Now, what
11.31 will actually be called (11i something) is another question 8^).

BTW Dave has written an NFS book and will be doing an NFS tuning
thing at HP World 2003.

Greg Cagle
gregc at gregcagle dot com