[HPADM] Re: ANY way to automounter failover on HP-UX ...

From: Alek O. Komarnitsky (N-CSC) (alek@ast.lmco.com)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 23:25:46 EDT

Most modern automounters (ex: Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX) have
the ability to do replicated automount entries - i.e. you
can specify more than one location, and it will mount
whoever is closest/fastest/etc.

On Solaris, this is taken one step further, and if the
mount is a replicated READ-ONLY mount, it can auto-failover
to another server if the first server goes down WHILE the
mount point is being used. I.e. it does not have to be unmounted.

This is really, really nice ... but it does not appear that
HP-UX has this capability, based on the man page and also some
actual testing on 11i.

I just wanted to check with the hpux-admins to make sure I'm
not missing something here and/or some esoteric patch that
provides this capability - I did not see one available.

Sure would be nice if this worked similar to Solaris.

Thanx for any responses and I'll summerize back to the list,
alek
http://www.komar.org/

P.S. Using AMD or other non-vendor automounter is NOT an option for us.