[HPADM] DHCP and dynamic DNS under HP-UX 11

From: tvmyers@eng.delcoelect.com
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 01:59:54 EDT

I am investigating the use of DHCP and Dynamic-DNS with Unix systems,
specifically user desktop workstations. With the current crop of DHCP and
DNS servers, it appears that each client can have a permanant hostname that
resolves to the dynamic IP addresses provided by the DHCP server. To do
this, however, the DHCP client must send its hostname as part of the DHCP
request to the server. On HP-UX 11.x, this seems to be the task of the
dhcpclient program. Unfortunately, there isn't a man page for dhcpclient
(/usr/lbin/dhcpclient) to explain exactly what the various command line
parameters do.

I've verified that "simple" DHCP works just fine but I really need the
ability to keep the unique hostname attached to each system. I'd appreciate
it if anybody can point me to documentation on "dhcpclient".

(yes, the Linux folks do this already...)

                                        Thanks, Tom

--
Tom Myers, Information Systems Engineer; Delphi Corporation,
IS&S - KAT Unix Admin, M/S CT200, P.O. Box 9005, Kokomo IN 46904-9005