[HPADM] Alternate paths don't always work

From: Scott Riley (Scott_Riley@stackcomputer.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 13:46:46 EDT

This issue seems to have been out there for a few years now, and I just came across it again.

Using alternate path failover on a SAN doesn't provide protection for all potential failures. For example, if I pull the fibre channel cable on the storage side of a switch, PV Links does not failover to the alternate path. If I pull the cable on the server side of the switch, it does failover.

I've tried this in the lab on different storage platforms, and different failure scenarios. It appears that without a link fault between the server HBA and the switch, failover doesn't occur.

Does anyone know of a patch that may address this, or a whitepaper documenting this? Third-party products like PowerPath, etc. do not have this issue, and it seems like a correctable problem.

Thanks

Scott Riley
Stack Computer, Inc.