[HPADM] Monitor Socket Connection Attempts?

From: Jim Turner (JTurner@hertz.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 11:32:27 EDT

I should add that we can connect to the queue in question from a local
server with no problem at all. Sorry for the extra bandwidth for the
addendum.

Greetings!

Here's the situation: I'm working with an outside vendor that connects to
us via MQ Series through a firewall to a server in our environment. The
vendor says he's making a connection attempt. The LAN guys say they see
the connection attempt at the firewall and that it must be a problem on
"our end" not accepting the connection. However, I never see a socket
connection from the vendor with netstat. Further, it is our contention
that the connection request is never making it to our box.

Is there a good way to reliably monitor/log all TCP connection attempts
(successful and unsuccessful) that my HP-UX box gets?

Thanks!
Jim

[Cross-posted to itrc hp-ux forum]

Jim Turner
Sr. UNIX Systems Programmer
The Hertz Corporation

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man and brave,
hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him,
for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." --Mark Twain