[HPADM] How do you connect a modem to an L-class?

From: Ayson, Alison {Info~Palo Alto} (ALISON.AYSON@ROCHE.COM)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 19:54:23 EDT

I have an L3000 which has ... apparently ... only one serial port. It's the octopus looking thing (with 3 ports) that connects to the L class. It has a "console", "ups" and "remote" port. According to HP the "console" port is the only port that allows for a modem.

I normally have a console hooked up to this port. However we have an application that requires a modem. It needs to be able to receive and dial-out.

I called HP Response center and they told me that I could use the "console" port for the modem. I figured I'd just have to set up the Lan console port for my console.

I sent into SAM-->peripherals-->terminals and modems. SAM came up with /dev/ttyd0p2 which is using the GPS serial console port. I chose this and configured the modem. However, no matter what I do I can't talk to the modem through the port (I can call the modem from my phone and it picks up fine).

I've tried:

kermit
C-kermit> set line /dev/ttyd0p2
C-kermit> set baud 19200
C-kermit> connect

Then everything hangs....I can't get the modems attention.

I don't really like the idea of using the console port for the modem..and it confuses me. How can a port be configured for both? I guess if you reference /dev/console you are getting a different setting (because of /etc/ttytype?). Who knows...I sure don't

At this point I've given up and reconnected the console to the console port (oh yeah..and it hung. I had to reboot the server to get console response back). I think the only solution is to buy a PCI MUX card and install it on the L class and then use that for the modem.

I don't even know what to ask here...the last time I had to install a modem on an HP Unix server was over 6 years ago.

If anyone has a cheat-sheet or suggestions for documentation I can read..I'd appreciate it.

Alison Ayson
Roche Bioscience
Palo Alto, CA