[HPADM] modifying/replacing a line in multiple files

From: FINK,RICH (HP-USA,ex1) (rich.fink@hp.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 18:42:08 EDT

        Hey Admins,

        Ok, I just got off a 4 1/2 hour conference call, and will admit I'm
a little brain dead at the moment. I looked in the archives, but couldn't
find what I was looking for..

        Anyway, I have to edit a large number of files, making a similar
change to each one. Basically they're application configuration files,
containing a list of email names and addresses, along with other data. We
had a user change her name, which now necessitates changing her email in
these conf files.

        So I have about 100 files, in a directory of ~250, with a line like:

                #to_addr=Maureen Schultz/Unix(maureen_schultz@ibs.com)

        which needs to be changed to:

                #to_addr=Maureen Carroll/Unix(maureen_carroll@ibs.com)

        I'm assuming the easiest way would be a sed/awk script, but of
course my book is at home. (isn't that always the way?) The sed man page
helps, but it also appears to be case-sensitive. Naturally, my files have
mixed case.

        Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated, and I'll
summarize. Thanks!

                -Rich

Rich Fink 404-(t)648-8191
rich.fink@hp.com
Team Lead
Americas HPS IT Front End Systems
Order and Contract Administration Systems