[HPADM] Sendmail address spoofing

From: alanriggs@tycoint.com
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 14:09:18 EST

A couple of the applications which I support require (though I dearly wish
it were not so) the spoofing of email "from" addresses in order to function
properly. At Sendmail 8.7 this was not a problem. When we upgraded to
sendmail 8.9.3 I was forced to do some ugly things to the sendmail.cf file
in order to preserve the functionality (basically, I run the 8.9.3 binaries
with a downlevel configuration file). As each new sendmail patch comes out,
though, this kluge must be "retrofitted" to the new binaries. I would much
prefer a cleaner solution.

Does anyone know of a way in which to configure sendmail 8.9.3 to allow
specific accounts which are not root to spoof the email from address without
opening up that functionality (and potential for abuse) to everyone?

Alan Riggs
Lead Systems Administrator
Tyco Safety Products
Boca Raton, Fl