[HPADM] monitoring failover lan interface in MC/SG environment

From: Copeland, Daniel (Daniel.Copeland@alcoa.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 14:38:32 EST

Admins,

We are trying to setup some sort of monitoring of nodes in a MC/SG cluster.
Particularly, we want to know when the failover interface loses connection
to the network it needs to be connected to. For example, the primary
interface (lan0) and the failover interface (lan1) are connected to the same
network through different switches--they can linkloop to each other---they
are in the same VLAN. This allows them to be setup in a lan card failover
situation in MC/SG.

The package ip address is brought up on lan0, but if lan0 were to fail, the
ip could be switched to lan1. But if lan1 happens to have lost connection
to it's VLAN some time between when the node joined the cluster and when the
failure to lan0 happens, the ip won't failover and the package will halt.

lan1 may have had it's cable pulled inadvertently or someone switched it's
VLAN by mistake. So we won't to know when this disconnect (physical or
virtual) occurs.

One possible solution we thought of was having a script run linkloops to
each and every interface a couple times a day. This will work but it's
tedious to setup and maintain. HP gave us nothing. They can only monitor
whether the card is UP or not (output of lanscan). This doesn't tell us if
the network is reachable. Their other suggestion was to monitor the nettl
log file for disconnects. This requires running the nettl format command
and dumping it to ascii every hour or so--again, not so clean. Monitoring
the syslog.log file is also an option since the standby interface disconnect
is logged there but it's a bit vague. Best case scenario would be an OVO
trap for the situation---HP said it doesn't exist.

How are you monitoring this (if you are)?

tia,
Dan