[HPADM] More than 8 chars

From: Enrico Nicolis (enrico@marionegri.it)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 09:08:24 EST

Hi there.
I have some problems in setting up usernames composed of more than 8
characters.
I need these because of two reasons:
- samba access
   the users (with usernames of more than 8 characters) already exist in an
NT domain
- e-mail access
   on HP-UX I have some users that read their e-mails via web, having the
SMTP server on another box - where the usernames are of more than 8 chars.

Is it really impossible to create usernames of more than 8 characters under
HP-UX ?
I tried some times ago to create these by hand, since this seems to be
impossible through sam. Moreover, there are some procedures in sam (like
creating a new user) that do a check on the /etc/group file, eliminating
all the hand-made usernames composed of more than 8 characters.

Thank you for your help

Enrico Nicolis
"Mario Negri" Institute for Pharmacological Research
Bioinformatics Unit
via Eritrea, 62
20157 Milano, Italy
E-mail: enrico@marionegri.it