[HPADM] MCSG and Oracle SIDs

From: Ken Felmly (kfelmly@h40a.resva.trw.com)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 15:36:09 EST

Hi list,

Need some advice. I am going to try to modify startup and shutdown
scripts for oracle with MCSG.

Essentially there is 1 SID (sid#1 - pkg#1) running on Node#1 that needs
to failover to Node#2 when necessary. The startup for this SID would
include starting the Oracle engine.

Node#2 is the adoptive for the sid#1. This node also runs 2 different
SIDs (sid#2 and sid#3), each has its own MCSG package. This node fails
over the the Node#1.
The startup for sid#2 (pkg#2) and sid#3 (pkg#3) would include starting
the Oracle engine (if it is not running).

What I need help with is scripting that will check to see if the Oracle
engine is running. If it isn't, start the engine and start the sids.
 If it is already running, just start the sid(s).

I need for each server to run all of or any of the sids (packages) at
any time.
I want to avoid using the /etc/oratab file.

Lets say that sid#3 fails, I want package #3 to fail to Node#1 and run
that sid on Node#1 while sid#2 is still running on Node#2, but check to
see if Oracle is up so that it doesn't try to start the engine - just
the sid (conect internal; startup). Now sid#1 and sid#3 are running on
Node#1.

Node #1 - sid#1/pkg#1 fails over to Node #2 along with mountpoints for
the sids database
Node #2 - sid#2/pkg#2 fails over to Node #1 along with mountpoints for
the sids database
Node #2 - sid#3/pkg#3 fails over to Node #1 along with mountpoints for
the sids database

Confused yet?
I am.

Kenny