[HPADM] SUMMARY HP-UX 9.04/Informix legacy system - 'logical log files are full'

From: Scott Adderson (EMP) (Scott.Adderson@eml.ericsson.se)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 08:06:14 EST

Thanks to all who responded, in particular to Brent Kwasnica and Peter van Eck.
Also: Martin Lodhal, Dimitri Avgoustakis, Aaron Bennet, Chris Wong, Vince Taylor, Ward Edwards, Dale Whittemore, Richard Goodwin, Bill Hassel, Joe Reeves, Glen Bauder, Brett Geer, Della Schmidt and Leslie O'Donnell.

The main problem was lack of knowledge of the system or it's history as the original admins and DBA's were laid off well before we got hold of the server, taking their skills with them.

The summary answer was a backup of the Informix logical logs was required. As we appear to have an Informix 5 system dating back to 1994, I needed to use 'tbtape -a' to archive the logs. 'tbtape -c' will then set continuous logging to 4mm DAT once it has been cleared. 'ontape' is the command for later systems.

By setting the LPTAPEDEV config in /usr/informix/etc/tbconfig to /dev/null the logs will be thrown away. As we have a static, view only legacy database, that's probably what I'll do.

As an additional complication, the system had forked too many processes as a result of the logs being full to su to informix user, so I had to pull the informix .profile information into the root user session to run the commands. This then cleared down the logs and allowed informix to free up the processes, bringing the system back online.

Some useful links sent through:

Informix mail list:
 <http://www.iiug.org/resources/informix-list.html> http://www.iiug.org/resources/informix-list.html

Informix log management scripts: