[HPADM] SUMMARY: 'kcweb' to work with 11.0?

From: Whittemore, Dale (dale.whittemore@lmco.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 08:56:50 EST

Thanks to Rick Jones, Bill Hassell and Karissa Stoker for their responses.
Listed below is the original question and those responses.

============= Original question =====================

I just read about the new kernel configuration tool called 'kcweb', that HP
has developed to replace SAM's kernel config tool, in the Jan 2003 HP World.
The article said that "It replaces the old KC as the standard kernel
configuration tool for HP-UX 11i version 1.6 and beyond."
Can anyone tell me if it will work with HP-UX 11.0? I would like to upgrade
to 11i v1.6 but that is not in the cards for the near future.

============== Rick Jones ===========================
Actually, 11i v 1.6 only runs on IPF boxes, not on PA. I suspect that
the kcweb tool that ships today on 11.22 (11i 1.6) is an IPF binary, so
for that reason alone it is not going to work on 11.0.

Also, HP does not support compiling and linking an application on
release N of the OS and then running it on release N-M so for that
reason, even if it "worked" it would be "unsupported"

rick jones

============== Bill Hassell =========================
As far as I know, this is 'future' only. No plans to backport to 11.0
(which is getting long in the tooth circa 1997) and probably not to
11.11 either. I have a big concern in that a web-based tool would
require a web server, probably on each machine, or perhaps it is to
be integrated with service manager (another emerging tool with lukewarm
reception by sysadmins.

I have always been a big fan of the character version of SAM running on
an HP terminal emulator (not hpterm). The WRQ emulator (not Reflection/X
which has no HP emulation) Reflection/1, aka Reflection for HP, provides
extremely efficient management that is possible over slow links (modem)
and a simple macro recorder that allows creation of secure logins icons
for multiple machines.

--
Best regards,
Bill Hassell
pooderbill@mindspring.com
=============== Karissa Stoker ========================
I didn't really know much about this but I looked on the ITRC.  kcweb is
written for 11.22 but there is a special beta test version available.  HP's
website for this product is:
http://software.hp.com/products/KCWEB/index.html.  Hope this helps!
Karissa Stoker
SBC Services, Inc.
* Karissa.Stoker@sbc.com
Thanks again to all who responded.  Now my next question is.........
Dale A. Whittemore
Computer Systems Analyst, Senior
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems