[HPADM] Question about a strange occurrence

From: RAnderson@sealy.com
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 16:11:13 EST

We have had a couple of situation where /dev/tty has suddenly lost it's
permissions and the owner and group have changed. Normally this file reads
as:

crw-rw-rw- 1 bin bin 207 0x000000 Dec 23 16:07 tty

but when after the change it is:

c--------- 1 root root 207 0x000000 Dec 23 16:07 tty

At this point in time no one else can log in. I don't want to jump the gun
and say we were hacked but I have no clue why this is happening. It has
happenend three times, twice before or after a reboot and once in the
middle of the day. Can anyone shed some light on this? The system is
trusted and I do have auditing turned on to monitor this (although I don't
think I'll get anywhere with it).

TIA

Ron Anderson
Senior Unix Administrator