[HPADM] Missing EMC disks after Ignite

From: Ayson, Alison {Info~Palo Alto} (ALISON.AYSON@ROCHE.COM)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 23:18:51 EST

I'm having some problems seeing some of my EMC disks after using a "Golden Image" Ignite archive.

I created an Ignite archive of one N4000 class server (running HP-UX 11.0) and "ignited" that image onto another N4000 class server. The N4000 class server that I "ignited" has now lost several of it's EMC device files.

Comparing a "inq" done before vs. after the "ignite" shows exactly half the disks devices are missing. I believe that all the devices missing are the alternate paths.

I've tried:

1) insf -e

2) booting to ODE and running mapper

3) rebooting

Nothing has worked. I think this may be an EMC software issue but I'm not sure. The device files changed after the ignite too, but I don't this is the problem (i.e. all the /dev/dsk/c9's become /dev/dsk/c5's).

We are using PVlinks and EMC's PowerPath software. We are connected to an EMC8380 (SAN) attached via fiber switches.

I realize this is probably more of an EMC question, but I also know that many of you out there are using EMC for storage. Has anyone ran into the particular problem?

Thanks for any help/advice....

Alison Ayson
Roche Bioscience
Palo Alto, CA