[HPADM] sendmail & Mail forwarding

From: Rick Greene (RGreene@rbinc.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 07:43:04 EST

Ok, hopefully a couple of you out there are good with that beast called
sendmail...

I have a lot of emails that get generated from various programs that run at
night. Everything is forwarded on to our internal Microsoft Exchange Server
(I know, I know, but it's not my choice). Most of the mail is destined for
internal people, but some bounces off the Exchange server to go to the
outside world.

My problem is, the admin for that server is taking it down for two 4-hour
periods in the next few days, to move it to a new machine and then upgrade
it to the latest version. During this time it will, of course, not be
available.

Is there an easy way to set my systems up so that the mail commands can be
executed as normal, but just let the mail all queue up on the Unix side
until the Exchange server is back? I don't mind if I have to touch the
system manually to turn the mail back on.

Is it as simple as just shutting down the sendmail daemon, or would that
prevent mail from queuing up?

Thanks,

Rick Greene
System & Database Administrator