[HPADM] SUMMARY NTP question

From: Ken Felmly (kfelmly@h40a.resva.trw.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 12:18:46 EST

Thanks to all of the respondents.

Essentially, NTP uses the UTC of the NTP server to serve all the NTP
clients. That is the answer I was looking for. The TZ doesn't play
into NTP. The clients ust UTC to set the system clock and the TZ
displays for the specific node. Drift would not be a problem.

I guess I wasn't clear on the SUN boxes getting their time. One of our
vendors (in their ultimate wizdom) decided that their tool (and who
knows what that is) is better to synchronise the time of data collection
and transport to the app server (SUN gets time from app server), wherein
the app server gets its time from the NTP server. Not my design! I
would have used NTP throughout and GMT across the board. Maybe even a
real clock source. These nodes are not on the Internet (closed network).

Looks like Oracle may have a problem if time is extracted from the
databases. Not sure if we are doing that or not, but is a good point.
One suggestion:

If running NTP on things like DB servers, you probably want to make sure
you have the "always slew, never step" patches installed and such.

Original question: