[HPADM] Summary: File system with many directories

From: Stan.Pietkiewicz@statcan.ca
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 10:52:13 EST

The general consensus is that it is not a good plan.... In fact, the root
directory structure in a vxfs (JFS) filesystem has an inherent limit of 32K
directory entries. Other concerns brought up were the potential for
extremely long backup and restore times, and the inability of commands such
as ls to handle the long list of entries.

There is mention of a vxfs tunable (vx_maxlink) which can change the limit
on the number of directories to something higher than 32K, and there are
also patches to fix problems introduced by changing vx_maxlink. From what I
can see this feature (> 32k directories) is not quite ready for prime
time.....

I will suggest other solutions to my client....

Many thanks to the respondents....

Stan Pietkiewicz
Stan.Pietkiewicz@statcan.ca
Informatics Technology Services Division - Statistics Canada
It may be statistically possible that my opinion is the same
as someone else's - but it is still my opinion!