[HPADM] Summary - LVM and file systems on HP-UX 11i

From: Goerke, Michael (Michael.Goerke@IUE.it)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 07:02:38 EST

Well, it seems as if the Veritas Volume Manager isn't
liked very much among you - nearly everybody states that
it would be very complicated to use, and only useful in
complex environments/configurations. Suggestion is to
use LVM with Online JFM, thanks for your replies:

Johnson, Craig E [Craig.E.Johnson@icn.siemens.com]
Paveza, Gary [gary.paveza@AIG.COM]
Salzer, Joseph [joseph@tsatech.com]
[IlicR@stentor.ca]
Dolores J. Capers [dcapers@netjets.com]
John Kingsland [johnk@dtmr.com]
Bill Hassell [pooderbill@mindspring.com]
Anil Rajapure [anil_unix1975@yahoo.com]

Below I have put together some additional information I
found on the topic.

Best,

Michael

---
Michael Goerke, European University Institute, Computing Service
                Via Boccaccio 121, 50133 Firenze, Italy
                phone: +39 055 4685-531 (voice), 4685-205 (fax)
                email: michael.goerke@iue.it
File System Types:
HFS (High Performance File System, HP's implementation of
    the Unix Files System UFS)
JFS (HP-UX implementation of a journaled file system,
    permits faster recovery and offers higher reliability)
HFS and Base Veritas Filesystem (HP JFS or base VxFS) come
at no charge as part of the OS, the Full Veritas File System
(HP Online JSF or full VxFS) has to be ordered separately
(B3929CA for servers, B5118CA for workstations, provides
online administrative operations, including backup, resizing,
and defragmentation). It is said that JFS was the default
HP-UX file system, current version is 3.3, in December 2002
there will be version 3.5 "the next generation of the product
known as HP OnlineJFS/JFS 3.3, ... not meant to be a
replacement or upgrade path for HP OnlineJFS/JFS 3.3" [??]
(from the HP OnlineJFS/JFS 3.5 Release Notes).
Disk Managers:
LVM (Logical Volume Manager, fully integrated into SAM,
    shipped as part of the OS),
VxVM (Veritas Volume Manager, as Base-VXVM bundle shipped
    as part of the OS, and installed by default, Full-VXVM
    available as separate product: B9116AA)
Since August 2002 VxVM is shipped in version 3.5, including
a new Java-based administrative GUI (VEA), compared to LVM
with Mirror/UX it offers RAID-5, dynamic multipathing for
I/O load balancing, striped mirrors, and online relayout of
volumes. The release notes states that VxVM 3.5 now coexists
with LVM (they are aware of each other).
My personal impression after browsing docs.hp.com and the
ITRC knowledge base is that currently VxVM seems not (yet?)
fully integrated into the standard HP tools. So an
interesting follow-up question could be: what will be the
post-merger disk management tools for a joint OS?