[HPADM] SUMMARY: Technical test for interview

From: Ronelle Van Niekerk (rvanniek@ecgd.gov.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 06:09:55 EST

Guys,

Thanks for all the input on this. I have finally come up with a feew
questions (that will go longside a more indepth technical test - by
computer) to find out if the person has a general knowledge of Unix
systems:

        1. How do you list files in a directory?

        2. How do you list the processes running on a machine?

        3. What command/s can be used to determine available disk
space?

        4. How would you find out which files or directories are
taking up a lot of space?

        5. What command or tool would you use to create a Unix
user?

        6. What three commands are used to modify file ownership
and permissions?

        7. What command/s can you use to determine the hostname of
a machine?

        8. What are the limitations on a user login name in
/etc/passwd?

        9. What command would you use to repair a filesystem?

        10. How do you kill a process gracefully? And if it doesn't
die?

        11. If a user has forgotten his or her password, how can the
system administrator safely and securely allow the user to log in?

        12. What is the command for rebooting a server immediately?

        13. Why should systems be shut down rather than just powered
off?

        14. What system utilities might be use to diagnose an
Ethernet problem?

        15. What should root's umask be set to?

        16. /var is reporting itself as full. How would you go about
clearing space?

        17. You've just finished a wonderful whizbang utility, and
you want everyone to have access to it. What do you do?

        18. A user calls and complains that response is slow. How
would you investigate?

        19. Consider the following shell script:
          #!bin/sh x=date echo hello $x
          How can you fix this script so it works?

        20. Please explain how you would define a global variable in
such a way that it can be initialized and is available to more than one
source file.

        21. What is your opinion on root access? How would you limit
the number of people who have root permission?

These next questions are just to get a better idea about the person:

        22. How do you feel about bleeding-edge technology? Are you
in favor of moving to the newest version as soon as possible, or would
you rather wait a while, and let someone else work most of the bugs out?

        23. Which part of sys admin work do you like the most and
the least?

There is only one correct answer to the second part of question 23!

Regards
- Ronelle van Niekerk

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com