[HPADM] SUMMARY: Command hangs while performing "find" into "cpio "

From: Helfenbein, Henry (Henry.Helfenbein@sanmina-sci.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 16:18:44 EST

I received two replies, one from Bob Vance and one from Angelo Collazo.

Bob Vance said that this happens when encountering an automounter directory.
I killed automounter before starting copy, I'm not sure if it matters or
not.

Angelo Collazo suggested using the any of the following which worked for
him.

        # find /old_directory -depth | cpio -pdmv /new_directory

        % cd <source-directory>
        % find . -depth -print | cpio -pudm <dest-directory>

        cd /path/to/src/dir
        find . | cpio -pdumv /path/to/dest/dir

        cd SOURCE_DIRECTORY.
        find . -depth -xdev -print | cpio -padmv
{TARGET_DIRECTORY_NAME_HERE}

The command I used is very similar, just a few switch changes, not sure why
they'd work on one box and not another. I will try to do all of them (until
I get a winner) when I get approved downtime again.

Thanks to Bob Vance and Angelo Collazo