[HPADM] modifying the nice value of users processes

From: HAUTECOEUR Bruno (HAUTECOB@ESSILOR.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 12:07:43 EST

hi admins,

i'm facing to a problem with processes priority.
I know that the Operating System deals all the processes with the same nice
value : 20 (except some system processes)
I am now seeing that almost all the processes belonging to a few users have
their nice value changed to 24 but i have not made anything for this.

The question is : is the OS able to change these nice values for these
particuliar processes ? If yes, according to what criteria ?
If no, are the users able to change themselves these the nice value of their
processes (only if decreasing the priority it seems ...) ?

How could i verify who of the system or the users have made these changes ?

tia

rgds,

Bruno HAUTECOEUR
Architecte système Unix
DSI / Architecture Technique - Essilor International
Tel: 33 (0)1 48 98 73 20 / Fax: 33(0)1 49 56 20 56
mail: hautecob@essilor.fr