[HPADM] Mysterious difficulties with directory access

From: Julius Szelagiewicz (julius@turtle.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 14:04:47 EST

Dear Admins,
        I have started experiencig very strange problems with directory
access on my L2000, HP-UX 11.0. The system has not been changed / patched
in last few month, the main app (a program interpreter) has been in
production from Sep 17, 2001. Today I started experiencing big file
creation problems - the interpreter, running with euid of the login user
was unable to create files in user home directories. the interpreter forks
a process to do this. at the same time, touch works fine. What is more,
users are unable to create files in other directories as well, can not cd
to some directories that were perfectly accessible on Friday. I am very
much at a loss where to look further. I checked directory permissions -
they seem fine, i loaded newer version of main app, made sure that it is
0755, no help there. Changing the app to suid root fixes the file creation
problem, but it is most certainly *not* an option.
        tia, julius