[HPADM] RE: known sendmail error, but how to fix? SUMMARY but still a question

From: Arjan Fraaij (hpux-admin@zonnet.nl)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 04:13:50 EDT

Hello,

Already thanks to Rita, Amit and Firmin... for there input.

The only thing is that I did the solutions with the . behind the
hostname, but I donīt want to use that because my other service donīt
need it either.

I also changed the sendmail.cf section #Dj$w.Foo.COM in Dj$wlocalhost
but the problem keeps appearing, see old message and error when I start
sendmail deamon again.

Rita pointed me to resolv.conf, but the other servers donīt have this
file and the work fine without messages..

Where else should i look?

Old message:
Hello Admins,

Iīve seen several solutions for the problem I having on one of my
servers, but the on I want to use is not working. What am i doing
wrong?

Getting the error :
lvunix1 sendmail[21278]: unable to qualify my own domain name
SOLUTION1: Putting a . after the hostname in /etc/hosts is solving this
message but my other servers donīt need this they donīt show any error.

SOLUTION2: making a change in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf to the section:
# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your
domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM
Dj$wlocalhost <- Did put this in the file because it the same setting
as all other servers do have.

I now stop en restart sendmail but the same error keep apparing, als
startup gives an error:

/sbin/init.d/sendmail start
Sep 30 05:15:57 lvunix1 sendmail[21589]: unable to qualify my own
domain name (e
WARNING: local host name (lvunix1localhost) is not qualified; fix $j in
config

Who nowīs what I need to change? or where should i look for?
I now I could put a . after Dj$wlocalhost also but my other servers
donīt have this eather.

DNS name resolving goes true:
nslookup
Using /etc/hosts on: lvunix1