[HPADM] NFS server not responding error at bootup

From: Desrosiers, Jean (Jean.Desrosiers@VISAER.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 11:41:53 EDT

Hi all
I've got a problem with a machine loaned to a client. ( HPUX 10.20 ) It
booted fine after shipment and I coached the network guy through set_parms
to change the ip address, default gateway, and subnet mask so the machine
could be connected to their network. Now the machine hangs during boot on
the NFS startup with the error "NFS Server [pid 776 @/net] not responding.
Still trying".
I am advised the machine can be pinged but remains hung there. Telnet isn't
working yet.
I was hoping it would "give up" but it hasn't yet, at least 30 mins elapsed.
My plan was to disable startup of NFS services as they won't be needed.
After looking at the archives I noticed a past issue where an NFS server on
the network was incorrectly configured and caused a similar problem.
Does this ring any bells?
Does anyone have an plausible explanation for this and (hopefully) a
method/process to overcome it?

J.Desrosiers
Operational Oracle DBA
VISaer Inc.