[HPADM] dd to raw device test

From: Ken Felmly (kfelmly@h40a.resva.trw.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 12:19:25 EDT

Hi.
I have an EMC disk array in FCAL.
I want to dd something to a /dev/vg01/rlvol8 (an 8GB lvol raw) to test
throughput to the raid. I will collect data with Scope, but need to
have some way to dd the data for more than the 5 minutes that Scope
allows. I also want to empty out the rlvol after I am done. The rlvol
belongs to Oracle.
vg PE size=8MB
PE per PV=33525
(280GB volume group)
We seem to have some performance problems and need to simulate a lot of
IO to the EMC and collect the data. The system I have here isn't busy
as in production.

I am thinking:
dd if=/<something> of=/dev/vg01/rlvol8 bs=1024
but am not sure what <something> should be.
Also to clear:
dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/vg01/rlvol8 bs=1024
Right? Wrong?
Help.

Thanks.