[HPADM] EMC Meta-Volumes and PowerPath

From: bill.thompson@goodyear.com
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 08:06:30 EDT

Admins,

Thanks for all the responses to my previous question regarding EMC
Meta-Volumes.

Now for the next question...

Is anyone using PowerPath with meta-volumes over fibre?

We have used PowerPath in the past, but with SCSI connections. We
benchmarked PowerPath with fibre connections but did not find enough speed
increase to warrant its use. However, at the time we were using
hyper-volumes only. Because of the number large number of LUNS we were
limited to displaying the hyper's down two paths only. PowerPath across two
fibre paths did not display any increase in speed and since we were using
pvlinks did not add any more protection.

Now we're looking at using meta-volumes. This will greatly decrease the
number of LUNS to the point where we can display a meta down four paths.
So, we're looking at again using PowerPath to load balance across the four
fibre paths.

Has anyone else benchmarked this?

Do you see increased performance?

Is it worth the increased administration overhead?

TIA,

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.