[HPADM] Kernel static/formula tuning question

From: Ken Felmly (kfelmly@h40a.resva.trw.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 12:58:24 EDT

Folks, I am in a quandry about nproc, ninode, and nfile. On one hand,
some archives say that leave these as formulas and modify maxusers.
 This I would believe in because if the 3 parameters are hardcoded, then
future kernel modifications would have to be analyzed and manually
defined for them. However, the following is a contradiction to that. I
need the real scoop. Any helpful docs would be greatly appreciated.
Kenny

HP-UX Tuning Guide.

 From http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/os/11.0/tuningwp.html

maxusers
This kernel parameter is used in various algorithms and formulae
throughout the kernel. It is used to limit system resource allocation
and not the actual number of users on the system. It is also used to
define some system table sizes. The default values of nproc, ncallout,
ninode and nfile are defined in terms of maxusers. We are recommend
fixed values for nproc, ninode and nfile. Set maxusers to 124.