[HPADM] Tar Question...

From: Jim Langston (jim.langston@walkerfirst.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 12:31:18 EDT

Fellow Admins,

Well I am now in line for the infamous DOH! award. I have a DDS3 tape that
had some data from a box that we retired a while back. Mostly it was
scripts, depot's etc. I did a tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0m to ensure the tape was
good, and it was. However, I wanted to extract it into /opt/omni/jimla. So
before I had my morning coffee, I did: tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0m /opt/omni/jimla
and you guessed it, my data disappeared, and when I do a tar -tvf
/dev/rmt/0m I see /opt/omni/jimla. DOH!

Now the question is this..... Can I recover the data that was on there, or
has the table of contents been overwritten?

Cheers,

Jim Langston
Unix Administrator
Walker & Associates