[HPADM] SUMMARY: Status Light Question: RP54xx (L class)

From: Aaron Bennett (abennett@olin.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 15:05:31 EDT

Thank you all for your help. The numerous replies all suggested going
into the GSP and reading the log files. They showed an unexpected
reboot -- reading them cleared the status lights.

All of the replies are included at the end of this message, for those of
you who are interested in them.

Again,

Thank you all so much.

Aaron Bennett
UNIX Systems Administrator
Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering
abennett@olin.edu

AC

(http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/hw/rp5400/en/tools/l1/frontpanelledd
> ecode_l1/index.html) reports that this light pattern indicates
> "Non-critical error detected (ie. Fan failure)"
>
> I'm assuming -- possibly incorrectly -- that this status light was
> related to temperature in the room, not the reboot.
>
> My question is two-fold:
>
> 1. Am I correct in assuming that the status light is a result of the
> room temperature?
>
> 2. Should it go away automatically as the temperature decreases? If
> so, I would expect it to be gone by now as this event occurred
yesterday
> morning. If not, is there a way to reset it?
>
> Also, are there any HP-UX commands to interrogate the status lights in
> more depth?
>
> Can anyone shed more light on or around this topic?
>
> I will summarize to the list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron Bennett
> UNIX Systems Administrator
> Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering
> abennett@olin.edu
>

> --
> ---> Please post QUESTIONS and SUMMARIES only!! <---
>
> Archives: ftp.dutchworks.nl:/pub/digests/hpux-admin (FTP,
browse
> only)
> http://www.dutchworks.nl/htbin/hpsysadmin (Web, browse &
> search)

Aaron:

Have you gone into the system's GSP yet? If you haven't, go in and, at
the
GSP> prompt, enter SL for Show Logs and select "Error" logs when
GSP> prompted.

The ATTENTION light will continue to flash until the Log Files in the
GSP are read. In your case, the GSP apparently reported an increase in
room temperature and logged a message in the GSP. You may continue
receiving these messages until the the problem is resolved, or, if it
has already been, when you actually view the log files in the GSP.

I hope this helps.

Steve Illgen
Unix Systems Administrator
Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc.
"Pass the Biscuits, Please!"

------------------

It PROBABLY has merely logged the power failure, yes.
But there may be something like a redundant PSU, or a fan, blown by the
power surge.

To check this, and to reset the light, you need to go into the GSP (^b
on
the console), and read through ALL the error log contents.

This can be a bit confusing, as it frequently has lots of old
information-level messages, its clock is not always in sync with the
O/S,
and it's not always obvious which order you are reading them in.

Best ring HP response and ask them to talk you through reading the
messages, to reassure nothing requires actual ATTN.

--
Mike
-----------------------------
The flashing ATTN LED is probably a result of a reboot.  You need to go
into the GSP and read the log messages. CTRL-B on the system console to
get into GSP; and,  if memory serves me right it's selection "SL"
(system log) under GSP and then selection "E" (error messages).  There
you'll see what
the error was.   You can look at all of the messages or just 1 and then
quit.
Once you go into the log and exit again the attention light will stop
flashing (it will not stop on its own).
-Roger
--------------------------------
Mr. Bennett
The LClass will shut itself down if it reaches an internal temperature
of 95 degress.  It sounds like yours shutdown because of the power
failure in your "office".  The attention light will not shut itself off
until you reset it in GSP (it does not do it automatically).  To do this
you need to enter GSP Mode by <ctrl> b at the console.  Once in GSP hit
<enter> twice to bypass id & password (if they haven't been set).  Once
at the GSP prompt type in SL (for Show Logs), select E (for error) and
your attention light should now be off.  To exit GSP just type in CO
<enter>.
Hope this helps.
Christina Martin
----------------------------
Hi,
The ATTENTION light has nothing to do with the temperature.
It has to do with the power failure.  The GSP in these boxes
monitors power for the box and when it is abruptly turned
off or unplugged, it will turn the ATTENTION light alerting
you of the fact that there was a powere failure.
If you would like to see exactly what cause the attention
light to come one you can interact with the GSP.
Press ctrl+B and it will take you to the GSP menu.  The
login name and passwords are not set be default so you can
just hit return.  Once you are in the GSP menu, type "SL" to
look at the system logs. Then choose "E" to look only at the
error logs.  Then choose "N" to enable filters.  As soon as
you do this, the ATTENTION light should go off.
To go back to the console, quit the logs by pressing "Q" and
then type "CO" to return to the console.
I hope this helps,
Joseph Salzer
----------------------------------
Aaron,

At the system console prompt, type CRTL B
Type in the Service Processor Login and Password( usually just hit
return)
At: "GSP>", type SL
At : "Which buffer are ou interested in:
            Incoming, Error, Current boot, Last boot (I/A/E/C/L)" type E
At: "Do you want to set up filter options on this buffer? (Y/N)"  type N
At this point the most recent Error Log Entry, Log Entry #0 will be
displayed.  A carriage return after this will display the next log
entry.  Type Q to stop displaying the log entries
At: "GSP>", type CO to return to console
This will change the state of the front panel ATTENTION LED from
blinking to off.
------------------------------------
Usually when the light starts flashing, it means something new was
logged in the chassis log which needs attention. You should check the
chassis log to find out what event was logged.
To check chassis log, you can do either of the following way:
1, Use cclogview command to check the log. The log files resides in
/var/stm/logs/os, the files of interests should be ccbootlog and
ccerrlog. Just do a cclogview .../ccerrlog | more to see.
2, On console, press Ctrl-B to enter GSP mode. From there use sl command
to check the content of the log.
Hope this helps.
---
Best regards,