[HPADM] make_tape_recovery looses instance numbers

From: Masse.Olivier@hydro.qc.ca
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 13:16:29 EDT

Hi.

Recently, a problem has been documented by HP in which make_recovery (or
make_tape_recovery) didn't keep the instance numbers when restoring a
system. I does this even if you recover on the same server as the one where
you've create the recovery image. The most crude consequence on the system
on which I've tested it back then was ending up with a mixed up vg00 which
consisted of disks devices that no longer existed. That wouldn't be so great
in case of a disaster as it requires some time and expertise to get it
fixed.

This issue has been documented by HP as being related to a problem with
Ignite/UX 3.6 and ioscan patch PHCO_24199. However, upgrading Ignite/UX to
version 3.7 and updating the ioscan patch didn't do the trick for me. I
still loose some instance numbers on symmetrix arrays in my lab system. This
is better than before when I lost my root disks, but not perfect. This
particular problem has been open at HP since a week but no solution has been
found as of now.

That's why I was wondering if others were having similar problems with
make_recovery. If I'm not the only one who has to live with this, I could at
least know I'm not alone and expect HP to work harder on this issue. The
latest Ignite/UX where make_recovery is known to work well for us is 3.3.116
and it's becoming rather old.

I don't think everyone takes the time to test make_recovery either. However,
in the light of what I've seen I prefer warning you that if you use it on
production servers, you should test recovering a lab system with it once in
a while to confirm that everything is in order.

Thanks.

--
Olivier Massé
Évolution des Infrastructures Informatiques, Hydro-Québec