[HPADM] NIS lookup problems

From: Julian Rogan (Julian.Rogan@Unilever.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 07:39:40 EDT

Hi,

I have an environment where I had the following situation.

Server A is the NIS master
Server B is a slave server
Server C is a slave server
Server D is a client bound to server B

Somebody not familiar with the situation issued a make on Server B. The
make did not work.
>From that point on Server D would not resolve NIS accounts (userid unknown
message).

Server C was bound to itself and was still working.

I changed Server D so it would bind to server C. I also stopped and
started ypbind on server D. Name lookup still failed.

Eventually out of sheer desperation I rebuilt and pushed the maps on
Server A.

Server D is now working.

Can anyone familiar with the intricacies of NIS tell me what happened?

regards,

Julian