[HPADM] RE: summary - emc FA port

From: Mani, Chandrashekar (Chandrashekar.Mani@astrazeneca.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 09:53:42 EDT

Hi!

        I got some great responses. Basically it depends on the EMC software
that is loaded on your server. Anyway, I have posted all the good responses
that I got.

Question:

          This is a general question to any HP-UX server connected to a emc
symmetrix box. Is there a way to determine which HBA on the server side is
connected to the FA port on the EMC symmetrix side by logging on the HP-UX
server? I don't want to track the fibre cable or ask the EMC guys regarding
this. I just want to logon to the HP-UX server and determine the
coonectivity of the HBA to the fa port address on the emc symmetrix.

Answer:

1)inq -et
- Roman
2)Using the ioscan command and the "sympd list" command you can figure out
which
fiber is connected to which HBA.

Issue a "sympd list" to find out which HBA are connected to the server
Issue a ioscan command to cross-reference the disks to the path on your
server for
the HBA on your server.

- Marco Santerre

3)This requires installing some EMC software, specifically the symcli
command line tools. It's shipped as part of Solutions Enabler. You'll want
version 4 or newer.

Once installed, add the bin directory (usually /opt/emc/ECC/{version}/bin)
to $PATH and run these commands:

symcfg discover

(this goes off and populates the "local database" with information about the
Symmetrix)

symdev list

(this goes off and displays the Symm ID, drvice file, front-end path,
back-end path, type, group, status, and size for every device on the
symmetrix - note if the system you run it on can't "see" the device, device
file will be Not Visible)

- John adams

4)Path for esnmgr.sh is /usr/emc/ESN_Manager
or
Do you have volume logix?
you could use the fpath command

/usr/emc/VolumeLogix
fpath lssymmfas [-d db_device] this gives both the hba wwn and the fa its
attached to.

if you have there ref guide its on page 3-55

- Newell denise

5)Assuming that you have labeled the interfaces within the EMC database, you
can run
this:

/usr/symmapps/vcm/fpath lsdb -d /dev/dsk/<database drive>

and it will show you the FA and what it is allowing access to. If all you
have is
the WWN, then you can run:

/usr/symmapps/vcm/vcmfind

This will show you the WWN of the HBAs on the given host.

- Jeff cleverley

Thanks,
Chandrashekar Mani