[HPADM] Summary -fuser

From: Yonghe Yan (Yonghe.Yan@alverno.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 11:39:43 EDT

Thank you to Bill Hassell, Angelo Collazo and Arturo Matiz for your help. I will contact my database vendor to see what they would recommend about my issue. As far as I know they provide a nice way to stop a database process. However for an existing process, it will not terminate it. It has a option to terminate an existing process by 'force', I guess it will 'kill' it too.
Once again, I appreciate your help very much!

Original Question:

I have searched the archive and could not find an answer myself.

I need to kill all the processes that in a database before performing database maintenance. What I thought was to fuser -k /livedb. But when I do fuser -u /livedb, sometimes root processes will show up, such as inetd. So fuser -k will kill inetd and nobody can access any other databases that are available. I don't understand why some root processes will show up when do fuser -u /livedb.

How can I accomplish this? Thank you and I will summarize.

These are the replies:

> I need to kill all the processes that in a
> database before performing database
> maintenance. What I thought was to fuser -k
> /livedb.

  Bad idea.

> But when I do fuser -u /livedb,
> sometimes root processes will show up, such as
> inetd. So fuser -k will kill inetd and nobody
> can access any other databases that are
> available. I don't understand why some root
> processes will show up when do fuser -u
> /livedb.

  Modern databases are not simple and require communication with many
different subsystems. If you a re using a commercial datasbase vendor, they
should supply you with the proper set of commands. I would never base the
termination process on random kills for processes that open a directory.

  Also, the order of kills is important and thus, should be scripted according
to the way the database works. You can easily corrupt your database by
killing things in the wrong order.

--
Shortsig: Those that haven't lost any data are going to.
Bill Hassell