[HPADM] Gigabit networking query

From: Gilliam, Susan (Susan.Gilliam@arceng.com)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 17:15:54 EDT

Hello,

Looking for advice on gigabit networking.... I recently upgraded our
CAD/CAE app to the latest version, and also, in the process, committed the
sin of upgrading many things at once: 1)app; 2) Server operating system
(hp-ux 10.20 to 11.0); 3) network (100mhz to gigabit); and 4) hardware (D390
1-cpu to L3000 2-cpu).

I'm getting intermittent network write errors when users are saving their
(very large) model files to the server. Landadmin shows no errors, neither
does the cisco 3508 switch it is attached to. The network card is set to
1000mhz, full duplex, flow control=on. The Support center doesn't have much
in the way of guidance on this, neither does the list archive.

My gut feeling is that there is either something about the gigabit interface
I do not understand (this is my first experience with this technology) or my
CAD app has problems (which would not be surprising). There are no other
indications of disk or other hardware problems. So, for the network side,
can anyone share any wisdom about the best way to set up the gigabit card
(A4929A) and get it to play well with a cisco gigabit switch?

thanks in advance for any insight on this,

-sue gilliam