[HPADM] EMC and Fibre information - Summary

From: Mani, Chandrashekar (Chandrashekar.Mani@astrazeneca.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 13:38:42 EDT

Hi!

           I got only one answer for the below question.The response was
from Alan.

Question: I have worked on the EMC/Fibre products on the Sun systems. I need
some docs/informations on how the EMC/fibre works on the HP
systems.Basically,like which is the file on hp systems where the world wide
node number is changed? How the HBA's are configured? How the LUN zonings
are done on HP-UX? etc...

Answer:EMC on HP systems is a little simpler than SUN, actually, though it
might take a little while for you to get used to the difference. The
biggest differences are:

        On HP it is not necessary to explicitly allow the discovery of
published LUNs (no analog to sd.conf)
        HP uses volume set addressing, which means that only 8 LUNs can get
published to a target. The practical effect of this is that when you look
at a device listing it will appear as if the target ID increments for every
89 volumes: . . . c3t3d6 c3t3d7 c3t4d0 . . .
        No reboot should ever be required to discover newly published
hypers--simply do an ioscan and then use insf to build the device files.

As to your specific questions:
        There is no configuration file which stores the WWN of an HBA. You
can find the WWN either with fcmsutil or through [xcm]stm. I don't believe
it is possible to change the WWN of an HBA.
        HBA's are configured/enabled/etc through the catch-all command
fcmsutil.
        LUN access, assuming you have a Symmetrix, is still controlled
through Volume Logix. This can be done from the command line with the
Volume Logix software, or through the ESN Manager GUI (which can only run on
a Sun or NT management station).
        Zoning can be done from the command line with the FibreZone
software. Or, as with VolumeLogix) it can be handled through ESN.
Personally, I use ESN to consolidate all SAN management into a single
interface -- but then I violate that principle by controlling all Timefinder
(BCV) operations locally on the servers.

Alan Riggs
Lead Systems Administrator
Tyco Safety Products
Boca Raton, Fl