[HPADM] [SUMMARY] Strange performance problems when adding memory...

From: Taylor, Vince (TaylorV@logica.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 07:56:09 EDT

Hi all,

Original message at the end. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions,
far too many people to thank individually. A quick summary is that it is
far too difficult to try and solve this sort of problem unless you can get
access to the machines and a lot more information. Bill Hassell probably
summed it up best...

-----

Hi,

Without a *LOT* of additional information, this would be impossible to
troubleshoot. The processes may have scaled themselves incorrectly and used
much more than the available memory, causing severe swapping, or a timing
problem between the processes has shown up due to less swapping. The biggest
questions is: did you use the additional RAM (what did Glance report?)

Bill

-----

We did use a bit of the extra RAM (0.8GB according to Glance) but we were
not swapping/paging before we added the extra memory. We also reduced the
dynamic buffer cache by half (now set to max 10% - we could reduce further
really) to keep the same amount of physical buffer available. The Informix
database engine was running on the other machine, so did not affect this
machine with the extra 4GB RAM.

Several suggestions were to increase the real swap space to be about 1.5
times the amount of RAM. By default I would do this, but we have no
available disk space on which to do this. However, my understanding of the
swapmem_on=1 kernel parameter was to make it possible (and improve the
performance) when there is more RAM than physical swap space.

One suggestions was that we may have swapped one bottleneck for another
(added extra memory, but then ran out of CPU/disk performance) However we
were rarely if ever paging/swapping before we added memory, we originally
had about 90% memory utilisation and this dropped when we added the extra
4GB (as you would expect) to about just over 55%, and there was still no
paging/swapping. No additional processes were added, no other kernel
parameters were changed (apart from the buffer cache ones)

I also received a few links to the old archive stuff on memory problems,
which I have included here (although they are quite old, they are
interesting but unfortunately did not solve the problem)

http://www.dutchworks.nl/htbin/hpsysadmin?h=3&dn=14361&q=adding%20memory&fh

http://www.dutchworks.nl/htbin/hpsysadmin?h=3&dn=42071&q=adding%20memory&fh

http://www.dutchworks.nl/htbin/hpsysadmin?h=3&dn=50814&q=adding%20memory&fh

Another suggestion was that HP had inserted the memory in the wrong order,
or that the smaller memory SIMMs were in the lower slots. As far as I know
this was not the case, but I was not on site when these changes were made,
and I have no reason to suspect that the HP engineer was at fault. In the
past they have always be very good. But worth checking just in case.

In summary, thanks for your help, but this seems to be a "do it and diagnose
it" at the time. Unfortunately I am working on this from a different
country to where to hardware is, and it is a mission critical system, so
redoing this and then looking to solve it is not a possibility. I think we
will have to invest in 4GB of extra RAM for our testbed systems and see if
we can work it out there.

Cheers,

Vince