[HPADM] SUMMARY III: PRIMARY AND ALTERNATE BOOT PATHS

From: Paul van Westerlaak (Paul.van.Westerlaak@rivm.nl)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 09:59:56 EDT

Thanks to Bill Hassell (who else :-) for a (very) quick answer and some
interesting additional notes on the use of the FASTBOOT option.
I've attached his unexpurgated text below

Cheers
Paul

Hi,

> Learning all the time: I've never used the "setboot" (didn't even know it
existed, to tell you the truth :-) )
> Out of curiosity I've tried it on a couple of our systems and found a few
hitches:

>The "setboot" command on HP-UX 11.0 is limited in comparison to the HP-UX
11i version. Maybe there's a patch for 11.0?

Yes and no, there is no patch for setboot.

> Some functionality (e.g. the "-v" option) depends on the firmware of the
system. This should be the "SpeedyBoot" version.

Correct.

> Can anyone tell me if the firmware on a HP9000-D330 can be upgraded to
SpeedyBoot?

The bigger question is: how do you tell if SpeedyBoot is supported (by
firmware revision?) and if not, what versions can support SpeedyBoot. I
have
an open question about this for the labs. I'll post any results I get.

My guess is that SpeedyBoot will not be backported to older machines such
as
the D-class, E-class, K-class, probably never to workstations. Not all
N/L/A-class support SpeedyBoot but the latest models probably do.

NOTE: It looks enticing...the ability to cut down on the reboot time,
specifically the selftest time. However, other than turning on FASTBOOT
(which
bypasses extended memory tests), the rest of the choices affect only a few
seconds of the test time. FASTBOOT on multi-gigabyte machines can cut 5 to
20
minutes off the selftest time.

NOTE for hardware folks: Turning on FASTBOOT is not the risk that the
training
manuals describe. When the system is running, the memory is being heavily
exercised. If the system has no problems and is rebooted, it's the same as
not
having rebooted at all as far as memory tests go (and FASTBOOT is an
extension
to memory tests--all of memory will have a quick verification no matter the
state of FASTBOOT.

And most important: if a memory (or any hardware) failure is detected and
the
system goes down, all SpeedyBoot options (including FASTBOOT) will be
turned
off so a full selftest will be done on bootup.

--
Bill Hassell