[HPADM] SIGSEGV error copying files using cp

From: Allan.Marillier@dana.com
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 13:52:36 EDT

I have two RP5470s (model returns 9000/800/L3000-5x) each with 2 CPUs
and 4Gb RAM, running HP-UX 11i. I have a problem when copying files
with cp -p or directories using cp-rp. This only occurs with cp-p if I use

wildcards that match more than one file. On every file, I get the
following
message:

Pid 24640 received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure.
Possible causes: insufficient memory or swap space,
or stack size exceeded maxssiz.

The files appear to copy correctly in spite of the error message, size,
checksum and all other attributes seem identical and the contents
seem correct.

sysdef shows
maxssiz 8192 - 0-98048 Pages -
maxssiz_64bit 8192 - 4-262144 Pages -

Viewing kernel tunables via sam shows that both maxssiz params are set
at 32Mb (33554432)

Memory utilization is 90% on one, 34% on the other. Swap utilization
is 47% and 14%.

Other messages in the archive and on ITRC suggest increasing maxssiz from
the default 8Mb to 32Mb, or at most to 64Mb. Another system configured the
same way (N class) does not have the problem. The only difference we have
found so far is that the N class has a patch PHSS_24304 installed.

Has anybody else seen this error on a simple copy? Any clues on how to
resolve it?